It's a long way is a mission in the singleplayer mode of Steel Division.
It is your 46th (Highland) Infantry Brigade's honour to lead the way for Operation Epsom.
Your primary objective is not only to take the village of Cheux, but more importantly to hold it. It is vital that Cheux remains in our hands in order for Epsom to proceed according to plan.
The 31st Tank Brigade will be supporting your attack, but it lacks infantry: protect them with some of your own to make sure they reach the objective quickly and provide you with all the support they can.
Mission takes place on the Cheux 2 vs 2/3 vs 3 map.
On June 6th, almost four years to the day after Dunkirk, our men landed back in France. Despite heavy enemy resistance and counter-attacks, we have established a strong beachhead into which armoured troops have been introduced.
In the weeks to follow, in accordance with General Montgomery's master plan, those armoured forces have been focusing their attention on the German elite Panzer divisions around Caen.
Caen should have been secured on D-Day, but all our attempts so far have failed. We are facing the heaviest and best divisions the Third Reich has to offer: SS-Panzer-Divisions, battle-hardened men who would prefer to die than surrender an inch of ground. But the stalemate is about to come to an end, with the arrival of VIII. Corps. Its fresh divisions will provide us with the strength needed to break this deadlock.
The 15th Scottish Division will have the honour of leading the assault, the objective being Hill 112, a small height overlooking Caen. Hill 112 is the “Key to Normandy”: once in our hands, the Germans will be unable to hold Caen. But before reaching Hill 112, your 46th (Highland) Brigade will have to secure Cheux, a major crossroads which happens to be a strongpoint of the German main line of defence. To help you in your task, Churchill tanks from the 31st Tank Brigade will be supporting your advance.
The enemy we are facing is the 12. SS-Panzer-Division. The «Baby Division», as we used to call it, mockingly; but those teenagers have proven themselves to be as tough as the most battle-hardened veterans, and more fanatical. Expect heavy resistance for the city itself from the Panzergrenadiers and armoured counter-attacks to recapture any lost position. Intelligence also reports the presence nearby of elements from 21. Panzer and heavy SS-Panzer-Abteilung 101 which could join the fight.
It is vital that you hold Cheux, at any cost for it will be the springboard of our future offensive toward Hill 112.
Operation Epsom starts tomorrow at dawn. Be ready, gentlemen.
- 25 minutes to secure the city center. The enemies are entrenched in the city center, defended by three PaK 38 50mm AT guns around the perimeter, with one by the forest near the access road. Deploying an AVRE in the first round will ensure the ability to advance and direct fire against enemy forces, but be wary of enemy AT teams with Panzerfausts. Artillery is effective in suppressing the enemy forces as well.
- Sending the two Honey Stuarts and Humber 4s you get for free at the start of the mission can be a good way to prevent infantry advances from the west - send them through La Gaule and you can wipe out several enemy squads and eliminate artillery support with ease.
- Taking Cheux is as simple as forcing enemy units out of the designated marker. Your next goal is to hold the city.
Hold Cheux and Repel the 12. SS
- This objective requires you to prevent enemy units from pushing yours out of the city and eliminating 30 total units. For this reason, it's better to force enemy units to flee then chase them down, especially in Phase A. Any unit you chase away and then ride down with light units will count towards this objective. However, be wary: The 12. SS has Schwere SS Panzer-Abteilung 101 with Panther Ds outside the city and these don't count towards the objective.
- You will have to put up with numerous Pz.Grenadier attack waves supported by Panzer IV Hs and a handful of Panther Ds. 17-pdrs are very useful here.
|Activation Points||Battlegroup slots|