Hedgerow Hell is a mission in the singleplayer mode of Steel Division.
The invasion is well underway, although not exactly as we had planned it. But we will start the war from right where we are.
As for you, the primary objective of your Task Force is to secure the crossroad at Audouville-la-Hubert and ambush any German forces trying to move against Utah Beach. Then, counterattack as soon as possible to open the way of Sainte-Mère-Eglise for the 4th Infantry Division's assault units. Speed is of the essence here.
Your secondary objective is to locate and silence the heavy AT guns and howitzer slowing the 4th Division's advance inland.''
Mission takes place on the Omaha 4 vs 4 map.
Last night, American and allied airborne forces boarded their planes and took off towards France. Shortly after midnight this morning, and despite the German anti-aircraft defences, our boys set foot behind enemy lines in Normandy.
In the meantime, at dawn, the greatest armada ever assembled opened fire, and proceeded to land assault troops on the shores of France. The liberation of Europe is underway as we speak. Both airborne divisions have been blown to the four winds all over the Cotentin Peninsula. Let’s hope it'll disorganise the Germans as we planned.
Half the men have been misdropped, sir … including ourselves. We seem to have landed at the boundaries between our 82nd & the 101st, way too far from the division’s objectives at Sainte-Mère-Eglise and the bridges over the Merderet river. Yet we aren’t the only ones completely off mark: the first amphibious assault wave has just hit the beach right on schedule but much further South than planned! That is: just East of our present position.
New orders from Division HQ, sir: You are placed in charge of a provisional Task Force gathering any isolated paratroopers in the area, whatever their unit, and securing Audouville-la-Hubert to allow our ground force to exit the beach as quickly as possible.
The city and vicinities are held by a mere company of infantry: we must seize it as quickly as possible, and put Audouville in a state of defence to repel any attempts by the Germans to recapture it, and then counter-attack quickly to open the way.
The German coastal defences are manned by auxiliary troops of poor military value, but they are supported by heavy guns. Any help we could provide in destroying those guns would hasten the amphibious forces’ advance inland.
Seize Audouville and prepare an ambush
- Time limit
- The target town is held by Osttruppen with major roads held by MG 42 machine gun nests, with an SPW 223 providing fire support. The best way to dislodge them is through a liberal use of mortars and machine gun. Bring an AT gun to eliminate the SPW easily.
- Then your mission is to eliminate the enemy reinforcement column coming in from Sainte-Mere-Eglise. The road they will use to arrive is clearly marked. You will need long-range AT and machine guns set up with overlapping fields of fire.
Hold Audouville and destroy all 88mm guns
- Simple enough. You need to destroy the 88mm roadblock to allow tanks to Audoville. They are located to the right of the central sector, near the landed gliders. They are in batteries of two guns located a short distance away from one another. Make sure to detach a group of infantry (four AB rifles do the trick) as soon as possible to take them down, to gain access to tanks.
- Furthermore, you need to clean up the reinforcements from Eglise. The first wave consists of a BMW R.75 scout with several squads of infantry, a heavy MG, and two PaKs in transport vehicles, plus a commander, with subsequent waves bringing in infantry, artillery, and MGs. A fighting retreat is a safe bet, slowly moving your defensive lines back until you can bring the tanks (see above) to bear.
- Once you clear the guns, you will receive AI-controlled reinforcements: An M8, M15 CGMC, and three M4 DD initially, with more landing.
- Once they reach the town, the orders are to counter-attack the exit to Saint-Mere-Eglise. Follow the M4s and support them from infantry and you should have no problems reaching the target.
Secondary: Silence the Guns
- To accomplish this objective, you need to silence the two artillery batteries shelling the beach. There are three guns per battery located along the central sectors. Simply destroy them with the Recon and two AB Rifles force to complete the objective.
|Activation Points||Battlegroup slots|